I love steal cut oats in the morning. It’s my easy go to comfort food to start my day! The biggest secret is to prepare it ahead of time so it’s ready for the week. Sometimes I do this is my slow cooker. Be sure not to skip browning the oats first, it really adds to the flavor and texture.
This recipe serves 4 (unless your husband is as big as mine…then it’s 3!)
- 1 tbst coconut oil
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup steal cut oats
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened if you prefer less sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 100% pure maple syrup to serve
- Heat coconut oil in sauce pan until melted then toast steel cut oats until golden and fragrant
- Add in 3 cups of hot water, bring to boil then let simmer for 25 mins
- Add in milk and simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in vanilla and shredded coconut.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
serving size 1/4 or recipe Calories 265 Fat 11 Carbs 38 Fiber 5 Protein 8