Taking care of your self is not just a physical act of eating healthy and exercising, it involves mental and emotional growth. Believe it or not, this is something that I practice with my clients and it’s an important element in your long term success.
I find it fascinating that if I ask someone to name five things they don’t like about themselves, it’s easy for them to list them out with out pausing. Yet if I ask the same person to name five things they love about themselves they are uncomfortable and have a hard time coming up with the list. Take some time to give your self a little love!
Here are a few of my favorite tips to help you get on track.
- List five things you love about your body.
- Start a compliment journal. Every day, give someone a compliment and write down the compliments your remember receiving. Keep your journal up to speed. It’s fun to refer back to it on a day when you are feeling a bit down.
- Spoil yourself a bit! Take time to exfoliate your skin, put on lotion, spend a few extra minutes on your make up or hair, and wear your favorite outfit. It sounds a bit silly, but it’s important to take time to pamper your self a bit.
- Make a habit of positive self-talk. Every time you notice yourself saying, or thinking, something negative about yourself, quickly replace it with a positive statement. For example “I hate my arms.” Replace it with, My legs are beautiful and I’m enjoying working on my arms!” You’ll be surprised at how much better you feel.
- Embrace you imperfections. Their will always be things that you don’t love and can’t change about yourself. Embrace them and know that they make you unique. No one focuses on the little things more then you do!